You'll Come for a Job...But You'll Stay for an Exciting Career! Engineering and Designing Reliable, Responsive, Solutions.
SINCE 1976, CANNON has provided creative solutions to clients in the energy industry, water resources, public infrastructure, and commercial and residential development. We work hard. We play hard. We have fun.
JOIN CANNON as a Project Engineer (Mechanical / Process) in San Luis Obispo, California. San Luis Obispo is on the beautiful California central coast, has scenic beaches, is surrounded by the wine country, offers endless recreational opportunities, and has a beautiful year round-weather.
Under the direction of a Project Manager, a project engineer is self-directed and prepares plans, specifications, calculations, and estimates in connection with the construction or modification of various engineering projects with emphasis on upstream oil and gas production, and natural gas processing, compression, storage, and transmission. Interfaces with clients, piping designers, and other discipline engineers on project coordination, design, and follow-up to ensure quality standards are met, efficiency levels are maintained, and client satisfaction, respect and confidence are assured.
- Conducts fluid hydraulic calculations to generate process data for instrumentation and equipment (pumps, compressors and turbines, steam generators, etc.) sizing and specification.
- Determines piping system design pressures.
- Designs relief valves and relief systems including flare headers.
- Performs new designs and/or ratings of piping systems and major pieces of equipment such as heat exchangers, vessels, valves, etc.
- Develops process flow configurations to meet clients’ needs.
- Develops P&ID’s, PFD’s, cause and effect charts, and process descriptions.
- Works with Principal Engineers to complete any simulated heat and material balances.
- Researches equipment standardization, availability, and redundancy strategy so client can achieve optimum plant operability.
- Assists the Project Manager with budgets and schedules for projects and participates in client meetings, proposals, and presentations. Direct coordination with client staff typical.
- Coordinates activities of project support staff, such as piping designers and various discipline engineers (electrical, structural, etc.).
- Participates in project reviews (P&IDs, HAZOP, 3D models) as part of design follow-up support.
- Researches new technologies to provide productive and reliable process systems for oil and gas production, water treatment, water injection, and gas compression systems.
- Coordinates with representative of agencies, utility companies, vendors, material suppliers, and contractors to obtain information and guidance, and makes appropriate process and equipment selection and prepares specification sheets.
- Updates the Project Manager on progress of work and informs him/her of problems and questions.
- Travels to gather field data for designs and/or support construction, start-up and commissioning activities at client facilities (typically within California).
Qualifications and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited college. Chemical or Mechanical focus strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years, but no more than 6 years, related process engineering experience in the chemical, petrochemical, or refining industries.
- Interested in eventually becoming a Project Manager.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate effectively with technical professionals and field personnel.
- Good interpersonal skills and fluent in written and spoken English.
- EIT required. PE, a plus.
- Familiar with applicable industry standard design codes (ASME, ANSI, API, etc.).
- Field Experience - Basic understanding of how equipment functions in an upstream oil and gas field and facility.
- Process Design Experience - Must have basic knowledge of process design.
- Equipment design/rating - Ability to design and/or specify a variety of unit operations for procurement, such as heat exchangers, vessels, pumps, etc. is a plus.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, 3D piping modeling, AVEVA Engineering, Microsoft 365 is a plus.
- Process simulation experience using HYSYS, PROCESS or CHEMCAD, or equivalent, is preferred.