San Luis Obispo County Office of Education
3350 Education Drive
4,172 to 5,948 month
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.edjoin.org/Home/DistrictJobPosting/1333489
REPORTS TO: Business Systems/Payroll Manager
SUPERVISES: No supervisory responsibilities
DEFINITION: This position performs specialized and complex accounting and payroll duties involving the analysis, audit and processing of school districts classified and certificated payroll ensuring classified and certificated County Office and school district employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner. Performs specialized retirement reconciliations and reports for State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS), Public Employees Retirement Systems (PERS), Social Security, Medicare and other retirement systems for district employees county-wide; benefits reconciliations. Serves as a technical resource to external district staff concerning payroll functions. Serve as backup to Business Systems Specialist to process forms and pay warrants.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Four years increasingly responsible related experience including work with payroll, retirement, or similar functions.
- One year of college-level course work in accounting or related field (one year of additional experience or CASBO, ACSA, or other related school business or payroll certifications can be substituted for one year of college coursework).
- Proven ability to read, interpret and apply common sense to a variety of documents, financial, and statistical records.
- Demonstrated experience in spreadsheet computer applications.
- A valid California driver’s license.
- AA in Accounting.
- Experience in a school district, county office of education, or governmental agency.
- CASBO, ACSA, or related school business or payroll certifications.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
- Knowledge of principles and techniques involved in payroll preparation and processing.
- Knowledge of principals and techniques involved in retirement account preparation and processing.
- Knowledge of principals and techniques involved in benefits account preparation and processing.
- Knowledge of policies and objectives of assigned activities.
- Knowledge of financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
- Knowledge of preparation of comprehensive accounting reports.
- Knowledge of data control procedures and data entry operations.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and effectively apply time management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with diverse populations.
- Ability to understand and carry out assignments in a neat, orderly, accurate, and timely fashion following verbal or written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to exercise sound judgments and decisions and to evaluate the results of those judgments and decisions.
- Ability to deal with problems or issues involving several variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to perform arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
- Ability to maintain accurate financial and statistical payroll, retirement and various other records.
- Ability to prepare and evaluate, reconcile and balance comprehensive payroll, retirement and accounting reports and a variety of financial and statistical information.
- Ability to learn, interpret, apply and explain laws, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to give presentations to small and large groups.
- Ability to identify and resolve financial issues, errors, and discrepancies.
- Ability to learn applicable software, including spreadsheet and database systems and serve as technical support to internal and external staff.
- Ability to serve as liaison and resource to governmental agencies and local districts.
- Ability to meet frequent reporting deadlines.
- Ability to organize work in a logical and efficient manner.
- Perform specialized payroll accounting duties to ensure SLOCOE and designated school district employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner. Process classified and certificated payroll as assigned. Receive, audit, input, code, and adjust time sheets, claim forms, and related documents including deductions, garnishments, salaries, leave time, and contributions utilizing assigned computer system. Update accounts to reflect income, transfers and expenditures. Issue and distribute paychecks. Meet numerous monthly reporting and processing deadlines.
- Perform County Wide payroll functions including direct deposit/ACH changes, and resolve issues regarding direct deposit transactions and errors. Arrange for payroll warrant cancellations, stop payments, rewrites, replacements and cancellations. Prepare, balance, and audit monthly retirement systems reports and payments for SLOCOE and designated school districts. Work with each district to resolve errors on the retirement report, and final payments to avoid significant penalties. Receive, audit, input, and adjust STRS and PERS retirement forms and related documents.
- Coordinate the processing of health packages, FLEX plans and other voluntary insurance coverages. Prepare and audit health and voluntary deduction premiums and payments for SLOCOE employees. Balance all payroll deductions to the appropriate accounts in the general ledger tracking payroll, billing and adjustments.
- Serve as a technical resource and liaison to district and SLOCOE staff regarding the payroll function and related retirement accounts, policies and procedures, calculations, pay rates, taxes, STRS, PERS, credit and other payroll data for districts and county office. Provide district and SLOCOE staff training as needed. Collaborate with STRS, PERS and other outside organizations as needed for payroll and retirement information in order to resolve issues and concerns.
- Establish and maintain detailed automated permanent records regarding SLOCOE personnel. Input and update data including pay rates, tax status, deductions, benefits, STRS, PERS and other employee information.
- Input payroll, retirement and employee data into an assigned computer system. Maintain automated records and files. Initiate queries, manipulate data, develop spreadsheets and generate computerized reports and statements. Ensure accuracy of input and output data. Serve as technical support to external districts for changes in payroll coding in order to comply with retirement changes and legislative requirements. Provide and assist in facilitating software support and training related to retirement systems, and the county office payroll system. Attend workshops, classes, and seminars to gain and maintain current knowledge of retirement and payroll laws and processes.
- Ensure mandated tax reports and related payments are submitted to appropriate agencies according to established time lines.
- In a back up to Business Systems Specialist capacity: Print and process a variety of paper forms including accounts payable warrants, payroll warrants and notice of deposit forms, purchase orders, W2s, 1099s, leave requests, and various related reports according to established time lines and procedures. Initiate queries, compile information and manipulate data. Maintain peripheral equipment related to printing duties. Prepare data and materials for processing. Review input and output data and completed production jobs for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established standards and requirements. Prepare completed production jobs for distribution to appropriate agencies or personnel. Ensure projects are completed according to established time lines. Distribute completed projects to appropriate staff. Maintain logs and records related to warrants, audits and assigned activities. Input data, initiate queries and generate computerized reports related to personnel, voluntary deductions, payroll and benefits. Maintain data integrity. Utilize the personnel downloader and provide print job support.
- Perform other duties as required within the scope and skill level of the job classification.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of computer equipment.
- Seeing to view a computer monitor and read a variety of materials.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Physical agility to lift 15 pounds to shoulder height.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling light objects.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.