FOCUS Learning Corporation is a small, private corporation founded in 1985. But our modest size is misleading compared to our stature and importance to the industries we serve.
We are the producers of an enterprise software system known as VISION. This program is the platform used by our corporate client community to design, develop, deploy and maintain enterprise training and performance support systems. VISION is essential to those organizations that do their work in “low risk – high consequence” environments such as nuclear power plants, commercial airlines, government (DOE) sites, and others both domestic and abroad. We are vital to these industries and deeply committed to their culture of safety and professionalism.
We develop periodic new releases to keep our modules current, and are about to begin development of new web-based modules to add important functionality to VISION. We are looking for a software developer to play a prominent role in development of these modules from inception to completion, while contributing to the ongoing enhancements and updates to the existing programs.
The right person will join a development team in a pleasant environment, working on exciting projects that will result in software that is highly impactful and necessary to high consequence organizations worldwide.
- Develop and implement new software programs
- Maintain and improve the performance of existing software
- Clearly and regularly communicate with management and technical support colleagues
- Assist in designing and updating application database
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; a willingness and ability to listen, communicate clearly, and adapt to various personalities in such a way as to promote a climate of professionalism, diligence and respect among every member of the team.
- Ability to work well with people who represent a variety of skill sets, backgrounds and personalities. Gain and maintain sufficient respect to attract attention to your ideas while respecting those of others.
- Be highly organized in general, with a natural inclination to track items for follow-up, maintain vigilance to internal and external deadlines, rearrange priorities as needed and adapt to new versions of a plan.
- The ability to problem solve — contributing to a professional software solution when the development team encounters a problem.
- A work ethic that demonstrates a dedication towards your job and makes you an outstanding employee in any position by taking responsibility for quality, timeliness, attention to detail, results and seeking to complete tasks with little oversight.
Required technical skills:
- General knowledge of SQL language to add, modify or delete information in an Oracle or MS-SQL database that supports an application
- Use of various Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
- Knowledge of the software development life-cycle
- Ability to perform unit testing of code components or complete applications
- Writing computer programs for various purposes
- Write supporting code for Web applications or Web sites
- Design, build, or maintain Web sites, using authoring or scripting languages, and digital media
- Back up files from Web sites to local directories for instant recovery in case of problems
- Use a software repository system; SVN is used presently; knowledge of other systems desirable
- Evaluate problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction
- Maintain understanding of current Web technologies or programming practices through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups
- Respond to user email inquiries to assist in a customer support
- Develop software while keeping customer experience in mind
Background and education:
- Completed a full-stack developer program or equivalent experience in software development required. Bachelor’s degree in a related computer science area is a plus
- Beginning experience working on a variety of software development languages and databases.