Under the direction of the Sous Chef and/or Unit Manager, to organize prepare food, cook, set up and back up the food line. Participate in the training of Full-Time cooks and students, ordering of daily supplies, enforce following of recipes, assisting in weekly inventory, ensuring the highest quality of food being prepared.
Apply Here: https://www.calpolycorporationjobs.org/postings/1392
Salary Range: $15.00-$21.96 per hour
Positions are 10-month appointments, with summers and academic breaks off unless work is available.
Typical Essential Functions:
- Prepare meals and meal items as required to ensure customer dining satisfaction by following and maintaining standardized recipes using approved procedures and common kitchen equipment as listed below to produce the highest quality product while preventing waste
- To oversee the proper and efficient preparation of food for all restaurant and restaurant functions, ensuring that quality and quantity standards followed.
- Provide training to workers in methods of performing duties assigned and coordinate work of employees to promote efficient operations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others both in the kitchen and in other staff to ensure good communications.
- To assist, as directed, to train, schedule, support, review, and to maintain highest possible levels of employee morale and department productivity.
- Maintain and enforce a safe and sanitary kitchen following prescribed safety and sanitation procedures to ensure compliance with health regulations and safety standards
- Report any equipment malfunction through prescribed procedures to minimize loss of production efficiency due to equipment failure
- Perform other duties as requested by Sous Chef/Unit Manager
- Receive & oversee prompt & proper storage of incoming supplies
- Order supplies and food items needed with the EATEC ordering software to ensure adequate quality production as directed
- May perform duties of Sous Chef during absence of Sous Chef, as directed
- Plate and serve food items as required using standard line service tools while adhering to proper portion control and presentation procedures to enhance customer service and satisfaction
- Transport food items by Cal Poly Corporation vehicle for barbecues, catered banquets and other offsite-catered events
- Perform other duties assigned
- Ability to use equipment: To include, but not limited to, steamers, steam kettles, roasting ovens, convection ovens, rotating ovens, deep fat fryers, broilers, grills, stoves, slicers, choppers, and normal hand utensils
- A thorough knowledge of the principles, techniques, terminology, and procedures of volume food production
- Become ServSafe certified within first year of service and maintain certification as required
- High school degree or equivalent
- A minimum of two years of commercial cooking experience in a food service or production position, preferably on a college campus
- Ability to develop successful working relationships with customers and fellow employees.
- Ability to perform complex, highly responsible and confidential duties
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and meet time lines
- Ability to lead others in managing tasks; train and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationship with others
- Excellent verbal and written skills and the ability to interface with all levels of staff, including students, faculty and staff, and the public
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- The person holding this position is considered a Mandated Reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment
- A background check is required for all regular benefited positions
Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check, educational and employment verification, and reference check, as required.
AA/EEO/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer